Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Painting with Eumelanin, or the Battle for Follicular Supremacy


I thought Megan and I were locked in a viscous combat in a war whose winner was pre-ordained, but unknowable.  
False.


Turns out the Battle for Follicular Supremacy isn't a battle at all.  It's more like two painters with different amounts of paint and a shared (and adorable) vision.  


Megan and I each contributed a number of genes to Milo's head.  The rest of him too.  I've always pictured simple-Mendelian inheritance, with a dominant and recessive hair color gene.  He'd have gorgeous strawberry-blond hair, or he'd have my hair.  Turns out we each contributed a bunch of chromosomes that lead to the production of a pigment called eumelanin.  The more genes he has  that make this pigment, the darker Milo's hair will be.  The fewer, the lighter.  It's not a dominant/recessive, either/or, win/lose thing.  (I'm not going to say which of our hair colors would have been a win)  It's the cooperation of our genes which will end up coloring in Milo's hair.  

So he may end up looking something like this:
Cut your hair, hippie

Or something like this:

No, wait, grow it back.  You look like Vanilla Ice


Maybe some of each or none of the above.  You'll be the first to know once I know what our little artists come up with.  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. That is all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second picture is very "Kid" from the award-winning House Party trilogy. Also, i hope that vanilla ice tag will come in handy in future posts.

    ReplyDelete